Harvesting organs from executed prisoners


NewsChina  South China Post (H0ng Kong)
HEALTH

China to stop harvesting organs from executed prisoners from next year

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 04 December, 2014, 12:50pm
UPDATED : Friday, 05 December, 2014, 9:37am

The mainland – which has long been criticised by international human rights groups for using organs harvested from executed prisoners as its main source of organ transplants – will completely ban the practice from next year.

All organs used in future transplants must be from donors, the Southern Metropolis News quoted Dr Huang Jiefu as saying. Huang is former deputy director of the health ministry and director of the China Organ Donation and Transplant Committee.

Major transplant centres had already stopped using executed prisoners’ organs, said Huang, who chaired an industry forum in Kunming on Wednesday.

About 10,000 organ transplants are performed on the mainland each year and about 300,000 patients are on waiting lists, he said.

Besides the lack of enthusiasm … due to the traditional mindset, people have concerns about whether the organs will be allocated in a fair, open and just way.
Dr Huang Jiefu

China has one of the lowest voluntary organ donation rates in the world. Just 0.6 people out of every one million citizens have signed up to donate their organs when they die, the doctor said. This compares with Spain’s high rate of organ donors – 37 donors for every one million citizens.

“What we can’t deny is that there are two reasons behind the slow development of organ donation in China,” he said. “Besides the lack of enthusiasm … due to the traditional mindset, people have concerns about whether the organs will be allocated in a fair, open and just way.”

The doctor added that there were just 169 hospitals on the mainland qualified to carry out transplants. The number was far from ideal, he said.

But Huang remains optimistic about the future, he said, because voluntary organ donation rolled out across the country last year had seen some results.

“Only 1,448 people donated from 2010 to 2013, but that number [from January this year until now] has risen to 1,500. I believe the situation will get better and better,” he said.

Advertisements

About Fr. Orthohippo

The blog of a retired Anglican priest (MSJ), his musings, journey, humor, wonderment, and comments on today's scene.
This entry was posted in authority, politics, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s